Summer School 2017
Dates: 4-8 September 2017
Venue: Reitoria da Universidade da Madeira, Funchal Portugal
This edition of the summer school course will provide the participants a solid overall understanding of basic and applied aspects of Marine/Maritime Spatial Planning (MSP). This course will follow a holistic approach to MSP, addressing stakeholders’ involvement, maritime sector’s needs, marine environment conservation, national / international legal aspects and finally, applicable data management. Academics and professionals, with practical knowledge, experiences, and applicable methods as related tools, will give the course.
The scientific and technical courses will be organized around specific modules focusing on:
• Marine Spatial Planning: basics, practicalities, legal aspects
• Different stakeholders: Energy & Transport, Fisheries & Aquaculture, Tourism & leisure, Biodiversity Conservation
• Marine protected areas, Integrated Coastal Management.
Besides lectures by renowned experts actively involved in different aspects of maritime economy, there will be a field trip and practical challenges. The course will provide a forum for exchange of know-how and good practices between experts and participants.
Early-stage researchers and professionals (Masters and above) interested in Blue Growth, Bio-Economy, Coastal Tourism, Sustainable Aquaculture, Marine Conservation, the application of the Maritime Spatial Planning Directive and related European Directives.
Venue: All sessions will be held at the Oceanic Observatory of Madeira, Madeira Tecnopolo, 9020-105 Funchal, Portugal.
Registration: Registration will remain open until the 7th of July 2017
Registration fees: The fees include tuition, materials, coffee/tea, lunches, transfers, technical visits and a social dinner.
• Early registration (Until 23th of June): 150€
• Standard registration (From 24th of June to 7th of July): 250€
Registration fees may be paid by bank transfer
Scholarships and eligibility :
Scholarships for attendants from European ORs and OCTs are offered by the EcoAqua ERA Chair project and will cover course fees and travel costs.
• Eligibility: To be considered for the Scholarships the applicant must:
- Be an attendant from European Overseas Regions, countries or territories.
- Scholarships registration deadline for reception of application will remain open until the 15th of June 2017.
- Submit a resumed CV (three page maximum) together with a letter of interest and a letter of reference and send the documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Lectures will be given during morning sessions and the afternoon sessions will focus on practical aspects. This intensive professional course is taught in English.
Accomodation: Rooms are available at the Funchal youth hostel, 3 and 4 stars hotels in the city center. The detailed information regarding accommodation procedures, fees and detailed options is indicated in each hotel with linked website as below. Then, please book the required number of nights through your registration to ensure reservation.
Hotels Telephone (00351)
Pousada da Juventude 291 743685/291
741540/291 741 381
Mobile: (00351) 967 452 037
3 stars Hotels
Hotel Madeira 291 230 071
Hotel Windsor 291 233 081/291 233 082
Hotel Orquidea 291200 120
4 stars Hotels
Castanheiro Boutique Hotel 291 200 100
Madeira bright star 291 200 550
Space is limited to a maximum of 25 attendees. Registration is on a first come, first served basis and space is limited. Register here today!!
Please contact the Organisational Secretariat for further details:
Dr Gercende Courtois de Vicose (email@example.com)
Dr Andrej Abramic (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Prof Ricardo Haroun (email@example.com)